Saturday 5 January 2013

My Baileys Panna Cotta Recipe/Experiment

This is my own experiment/recipe in which I was trying to find the right gelatin/liquid ratio for panna cotta. I had some Baileys left over from Christmas, so I thought I should make use of it in this recipe! I know that a rough guide is about 1g of gelatin (leaves) per 100ml/g of liquid. I have used this before and found the texture ok, but maybe a bit firm for my liking. So, here I have upped the liquid slightly and also added cream cheese in an attempt to cut some richness from the Baileys. Here is the recipe I made up and what I thought of the end result.

300g Double Cream
100g Semi-skimmed Milk
50g Cream Cheese
100g Sugar
4g Gelatin Leaves (Dr Oetker)
50g Baileys

  1. Place the cream, milk, cream cheese and sugar in a saucepan. Heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the cream cheese has combined with the other ingredients.
  2. Meanwhile, soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for a few minutes until completely soft. Remove the gelatin from the water and squeeze any excess water out. Stir/Whisk the gelatin into the hot milk and cream mixture along with the Baileys.
  3. Sieve the mixture and pour into 4 dariole moulds (about 115ml/g each). Place in the fridge until set.
  4. To serve, dip the moulds in warm water briefly to release the panna cotta and turn out onto a serving plate. As well as releasing the panna cotta, dipping the moulds in warm water also gives a lovely sheen due to the slightly melted cream.

After about 2 hours in the fridge, I took one out and gobbled it all up. Here is what I thought and what I think I'd change;
Good texture (good gelatin/liquid ratio). Maybe a bit of a claggy finish on the palate. Could try reducing the sugar content, upping the milk and lowering the cream. Baileys flavour is not overwhelming, but I think it's strong enough. It needs an accompaniment to cut the richness (perhaps something acidic like lemon, orange, berries, coffee ...?)

After 12 hours in the fridge, I tested another one;
Texture had firmed up. Still a nice texture, but could do with a bit more of a wobble. Next time I will reduce the gelatin content. I think I will try the following recipe next time....

250g Double Cream
150g Semi-skimmed Milk
50g Cream Cheese
75g Sugar
3g Gelatin Leaves (Dr Oetker)
50g Baileys

Overall, this was a VERY good and more-ish panna cotta! Give it a shot and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment